Mr Fothergill’s top 7 tips on growing healthy indoor plants!
You’ll be happy to know you don’t have to have the greenest thumb in the world to keep your indoor plants alive and thriving. Our top 7 tips will help you give your plants the right amount of TLC where you’ll be reaping the benefits in no time!
1. To water or not to water…
One of the most common killers of indoor plants is over watering. A good way to tell if your plant needs water is to simply pop your index finger into the soil up to the first joint. If the soil is damp then no need to water it this time. Adding a wetting agent such as water-storing crystals help to maintain an optimal level of hydration for your indoor plants.
2. Do I look good in this light?
Correct lighting is essential for growing indoor plants. Some require full sun whereas others don’t need much at all. A general rule of thumb is that the lighting where you position your plant needs to be bright enough to read a book. Plants will start to grow towards the direction of the sun/light so if you notice your plant growing more to one side than rotate the pot.
Drainage is often negleted when growing indoor plants. You may think having holes in the bottom of your pot is good enough but really that’s just the start. Adding rocks or drainage material to the bottom of your pot before adding soil is ideal. Keep in mind that most plants prefer wet feet and dry ankles.
4. Just a little bit of warmth can go a long way
Some indoor plants require a little humidity to strive. The water that is applied to the soil helps strengthen the roots and stems, the leaves may require a little spray of water every day or two. By grouping plants together you will be able to create a microclimate that they will all benefit from.
For optimum growth some plants require re-potting where as others dislike having their roots disturbed. To find out if your plants need re-potting, turn upside down and tap lightly on the base to release the plant. If the roots are the only visable thing than it’s time to move your plant to a larger pot.
Last but not least. fertilising! Your indoor plants still require fertilising but not as much as you would apply to plants outside. To maintain a healthy growth you can apply a slow release fertiliser roughly every 4-6 months. Alternatively you can use a liquid fertiliser every fortnight.
And that’s it! Mr Fothergill’s top 7 tips to growing and maintaining your indoor plants.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with Mr Fothergill’s expert garden advice and products
A complete organic garden health treatment from Mr Fothergill’s Seaweed has a long history of being used with growing plants. It has been proven to stimulate root development and is an effective general tonic to improve plant health and resilience at all stages of growth.
Mr Fothergill’s Seasol seaweed concentrate is a high quality and highly effective liquid seaweed tonic produced from Australian seaweed. The processing plant used to extract Seasol liquid concentrate is the only one of its type in the world and the unique manufacturing process maximises the extraction of the seaweed’s essential compounds.
Mr Fothergill’s Seasol Seaweed Concentrate:
• Stimulates root development
• Promotes healthy growth in all plants
• Enhances flowering & fruiting
• Increases resistance to heat, drought, frost, pests & disease
• Improves seed germination rates
• Liquid concentrate, treats up to 133 square metres
• Fast-acting liquid, effective when applied to soil or foliage
• Derived from a blend of the finest brown kelps from around the world
• Contains useful nutrients which plants need to support strong healthy growth
The Benefits of Seaweed
• Provides great nourishment for plants
• Contains many vitamins, minerals and enzymes that are natural growth stimulants
• As well as a soil treatment, applying liquid seaweed with a foliar method will also benefit the plant – as it absorbs sunlight, the plant will absorb the nutrients from the liquid seaweed
• Soaking seeds with liquid seaweed prior to planting will help improve seed germination and root growth
Also available as 4L bottle: