- Oriental hybrids are the results of crosses using L. auratum, L. speciosum, and L. rubellum. Well-known Oriental lily cultivars include ‘Star Gazer’ (rose), ‘Casa Blanca’ (white), ‘Journey’s End’ (pink), ‘Mona Lisa’ (pink). Latin form of the Greek leiron (used by Theophrastus for the Madonna lily).
- Crosses between Easter Lily (Lilium longiflorum) and Asiatic or Oriental hybrids have produced the “LA” and “LO” hybrids, which often have little or no fragrance and improved leaf characteristics.
- In Ancient Greece, the lily was the flower of Hera, goddess of the moon, earth, air, woman’s life, marriage and childbirth. In ancient Rome, it was the symbol of Juno, the goddess of light, sky, marriage and motherhood.
- Pollen sheds easily and stains whatever it touches. Removal of the stamens from the flower prevents this, but shortens vase life. With over 3000 species, the lily family includes many medicinal and food species in addition to ornamental species. The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology lists this species as an allergy-safe pollen producing plant.
- With more than 100 species, the Lily genus has been in cultivation for centuries, and has acquired many religious and mystical associations. Known as the flower of the Virgin Mary, the Lily has long been thought to represent purity and innocence.
English Baby Names Meaning:
The name Lily is an English Baby Names baby name. In English Baby Names the meaning of the name Lily is: Lily flower. Pure. The flower lily is a symbol of innocence; purity and beauty.
Greek Baby Names Meaning:
The name Lily is a Greek Baby Names baby name. In Greek Baby Names the meaning of the name Lily is: Lily.
Hebrew Baby Names Meaning:
The name Lily is a Hebrew Baby Names baby name. In Hebrew Baby Names the meaning of the name Lily is: Lily.
Latin Baby Names Meaning:
The name Lily is a Latin Baby Names baby name. In Latin Baby Names the meaning of the name Lily is: Lily (after the flower). Pure.
American Baby Names Meaning:
The name Lily is an American Baby Names baby name. In American Baby Names the meaning of the name Lily is: Lily.
expression Number: 22
People with this name tend to be a powerful force to all whose lives they touch. They are capable, charismatic leaders who often undertake large endeavors with great success. They value truth, justice, and discipline, and may be quick-tempered with those who do not. If they fail to develop their potential, they may become impractical and rigid.
SoulUrge Number: 9
People with this name have a deep inner desire to serve humanity and to give to others by sharing money, knowledge and experience, or creative and artistic ability.